Academic Year Program

Please note that specific guidelines and recommendations vary by program.

Can students choose the area of the U.S they are placed in?

Part of being an exchange student is being flexible and open to new experiences – anywhere. Students are matched with families based on similar interests; therefore, students are not able to choose where they will live and study in the U.S. Students may be placed in a rural, suburban, or urban area in any region of the U.S.

What is a typical host family?

Host families are as diverse as the U.S. itself. A host family may have one or two parents who may be younger or older in age. A host family may have young children, teenage children, adult children, another exchange child, or no children at all. Host families will also vary in their socio-economic backgrounds. All NOD AYP host families are volunteers and do not receive any monetary compensation for hosting. All students will learn about the composition of their host family before they arrive in the U.S.

How are host families selected to host?

Host families are screened in accordance with U.S. government regulations. This includes an application, a visit to the home, photographs of the home, recommendations, and a criminal background check for all individuals age 18 years or older living in the home.

Will I receive credit in my home country for attending school in the U.S.?

You can receive a transcript from your school at the end of your semester/year in the U.S. However, your school in your home country will determine if/how your courses and grades in the U.S. will transfer.

Will I be able to participate in sports at school?

Participation in school sports in not guaranteed. Athletic availability and eligibility is determined by local school districts and state high school athletic associations. Students should check with the athletic director at their high school regarding eligibility if they would like to participate in a sport. Most communities offer athletics apart from school, and student are encouraged to participate if they are interested.

If I have problems while in the U.S., what should I do?

Your local representative, regional coordinator, NOD student advisors, and the NOD national office are available to help you. There is also a 24-hour telephone number available for emergencies. Typically, your yocal representative is the first point of contact, but you can contact any of the individuals listed above.

What do I do If I need medical care while in the United States?

NOD provides medical insurance for program participants. A medical claim form, insurance information, and an insurance card are given to students in their orientation packet. Your host family will also have this information to be able to assist you should medical attention be necessary.

What expenses should I expect to pay for while on program?

Host families provide students with room and board. Since host families are including you as a member of their family, they might also pay for family activities as well. Students should expect to pay for any other personal expenses. For example, independent social activities such as movies or concerts; personal items like clothing, electronics; or any additional personal items.

Will I have the opportunity to travel while on program?

The Academic Year Program is a cultural exchange program above all else, not a travel program. However, many students have opportunities to travel with their host family, school, community organizations, friends, etc. Therefore, students are able to travel while on program as long as the necessary paperwork is completed and it is approved by NOD.

Get Involved

Read about becoming a
Host or Local Representative.

  • © 2019 Nacel Open Door.
  • All rights reserved.
  • Nacel Open Door
    101 5th Street E.
    Suite 1900
    St Paul, MN 55101
    Toll Free: 800-NACELLE (800-622-3553)
    Local: pref (651) 686-0080
    Fax: fax 651-686-9601